AC and Heating Tip from AC Express
Cleaning Your Air Ducts
Although you can call a professional to clean your air ducts, be prepared to pay a hefty price for a chore that you can easily perform on your own. Many homeowners overlook the importance of cleaning their home air ducts, even if they have household members susceptible to allergies, asthma, and other respiratory illnesses.
So how do you decide when to clean your air ducts? As with any other home preventative maintenance program, you should inspect and clean your air ducts annually. Gather everything necessary to clean before you begin the task. Typically, you'll need a vacuum with a hose and soft brush attachments, a screw driver, old rags, spray cleaner, vacuum cleaner bags, duct tape, paper towels, and possibly a dust mask.
Follow these easy steps for cleaning your air ducts, and greatly improve the air quality within your home:
- Locate the air return and vent covers within your home. Remove the covers with a screwdriver.
- Wash the vent covers completely and allow them to air dry.
- Remove the air filters if they are installed. If they are reusable filters, wash them with a strong stream of water, and then allow them to air dry while you clean the ductwork.
- Fit your vacuum hose with a soft brush attachment, and tape it in place with duct tape so as to not have the brush attachment become loose and fall into the ductwork while vacuuming. Vacuum into the air ducts as far as you can reach.
- Using a spray cleaner and old rags, clean around the mouth of the vent and ducts. Wash the inside of the ducts as far as you can reach, and don't forget to clean around the walls of the vent and ductwork.
- Replace the air filters, and then reattach the clean vent covers.
If, while you are cleaning, you see signs of mold growth, call a professional for an assessment of your ductwork and vents. If you choose to hire a professional, ask them to use a commercial disinfectant after cleaning your air ducts.
If you're in need of repairs or maintenance for your home air conditioning system, call AC Express right away! Our certified technicians can respond same-day. Call now! 512-745-6516
Tip of the Day Archive