Summer in Austin can be tough! If not properly maintained, your air conditioning system might have a hard time effectively cooling your home. Below, we have listed a few simple yet important things to keep in check throughout the year so that your HVAC system stays running strong for years to come!
- Change/Clean Air Filters - Regularly check your AC filters. The frequency at which the filters must be changed or cleaned depends on many factors such as your system type, environment, and the presence of pets or smokers.
- Set Thermostat to Auto - Setting your air conditioner to "Auto" will keep from running it non-stop. This will help reduce the amount of energy needed to run your AC and help your unit run more efficiently. Your air conditioner serves to move the air in your home and remove the moisture from it. When running on the auto setting, your air conditioner will shut off when your home reaches the desired temperature. Additionally, not constantly running your unit will allow for the moisture pulled from the air to evaporate properly rather than be constantly cycled into your home.
- Outside Unit Maintenance - In the spring, wash the condenser coil on the outside unit. This needs to be done at least once a year and will ensure that the unit is running at peak efficiency. A dirty condenser coil runs hotter and is less efficient. This can also be performed by a certified technician as part of a bi-annual preventative maintenance plan.
- Programmable Thermostat - The use of a programmable thermostat can reduce energy use between 5 and 30 percent. To reduce energy costs, you can set the thermostat to a higher setting when you will be out of a room or when you are not as active. Higher thermostat settings at night and when you are at work will save you money.
- Temperature Regulation When Not Home - Always leave the air conditioner on when leaving home, even if you are going on vacation. If you turn the unit off, it will have to work much harder to cool the house when you start it up again. In addition, pets, plants and appliances may suffer if the interior of the house gets too hot. Instead of turning the unit off, you can be energy efficient by setting the temperature five to ten degrees higher than normal.
If you're in need of repairs or maintenance for your home air conditioning system, call AC Express right away! Our certified technicians can respond same-day.