Air Conditioning Tip from AC Express
Air Conditioning and Allergies
Did you know that your air conditioner can do more than just condition the temperature inside your home? It is also responsible for other factors that make your home a comfortable living space. A well maintained HVAC system is also able to clear the air of allergens such as pollen, dust, and dander. This is all thanks to a simple, yet vital, part of your AC system: the air filter.
One of the most important things you can do to maintain effective allergen removal is to keep track of the air filters. If they are not regularly changed (or cleaned, depending on which type you have), then you can end up circulating the allergens right back into your home! There are a few different levels of filtration that you can choose from.
- Basic Filters: Basic filters are just that- basic. They will only perform the bare minimum for allergen removal.
- Media Air Filters: This is like a heavy duty version of a basic air filter.
- Electronic Filters: These filters use electrostatic to attract particles to an opposite-charged collector.
- HEPA Filters: High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters are highly effective at removing the majority of even the smallest particles and can be installed without upgrading your entire HVAC system.
- UV Light Filters: These filters emit an Ultraviolet light to kill germs in your ductwork.
Changing your Air Filter:
The rate at which an air filter becomes dirty depends on many factors in your home. The presence of pets, a common for Austinites, will automatically increase the need to change/clean your air filter. It is recommend that you check your filter regularly for dust and dirt in order to determine how often to change your filter in your own home.
Keep in mind that improper maintenance of the air filter is the leading contributor of AC System damage. Taking care of the air filter is simple and inexpensive, especially when compared to the cost and hassle of repairs or replacement of your entire air conditioning system.
Are you surprised to learn how big of a part your air filter plays in providing health and comfort in your home? If you have any other questions, or if you need any assistance with your AC and Heating system, please don't hesitate to call or text us anytime. Our technicians are happy and ready to help. Call today! 512-452-COLD
Tip of the Day Archive