Mold is a type of fungus that grows on damp surfaces. It comes in different colors and varieties. You might even find different kinds of mold in different parts of your home.
Mold can grow on walls, pipes, ceilings, sinks, showers, suitcases, tubs and even clothes stored in dark humid places.
Types of Mold
- Black mold mostly grows on exposed foods, particularly those containing wheat. Aspergillus is the most common of this type.
- Green mold is not poisonous to humans, but it is an allergen. Both black and green mold can trigger sneezing fits, and the affected person may have itchy red eyes when they have inhaled or touched the mold.
- Orange and Yellow mold hardly grow indoors and are nontoxic. They grow on decaying organic matter and wood.
Molds can also be categorized as allergenic, toxigenic, or pathogenic.
- Allergenic mold: black and green mold fall into this category. They can have devastating effects on asthmatic individuals. The spores they emit are allergens, and may cause the symptoms described above.
- Pathogenic mold: particularly for those with weakened immune systems, or newborn babies, this type of mold can cause diseases, especially to the respiratory system.
- Toxic mold: is rarer than the other two varieties. These molds are poisonous when touched or inhaled. Aflatoxin is one such mold. It grows on food, particularly grains, and it has been established that toxic mold can cause cancer in some cases.
How to remove mold
Water and a common household detergent can be used to remove mold from most surfaces.
However, mold can be stubborn, and might keep reappearing even after subsequent cleanups. The microscopic spores stay in the air and keep reproducing rapidly when moisture is abundant.
Mold can be dangerous, so you will want to put on safety gloves and wear a mask or respirator if you decide to clean it up on your own. A DIY solution is fine when removing mold on a small scale. However, when the infestation is massive, consult a professional remover to deal with it.
You should note that it helps to remove mold as soon as it appears. The longer it stays, the harder it is to clean off. In extreme cases, you may even need to have some repairs done to rotten structural wood if your mold problem isn't addressed properly.
How to prevent mold
The best approach to prevent it from infesting your home is to reduce the levels of moisture indoors. Proper air conditioning and ventilation in areas particularly susceptible to attacks – like in the shower and kitchen is the best answer.
Even air conditioning systems can be affected by mold. So, if your AC breaks down, one of the things you should look out for is mold.
Why does mold affect your ventilation system?
Your air conditioner works to ventilate the room by recycling air. When warm air is laden with moisture, it creates the perfect conditions for mold to grow. The mold attaches itself to the inner areas of the ventilation system, and may affect the way the system works.
When that happens, an additional hazard is created. The system fans then help to distribute the spores, that could be toxic (mycotoxins), throughout the room and the house.
The good news is that not all systems can be attacked by mold. If yours is infested, consider replacing it with a smaller one, or talk to the professional to reposition it. Once this is complete, maintain it regularly. Poor placement could be the reason why mold grows on your HVAC system.
If you're in need of repairs or maintenance for your home air conditioning system, call AC Express right away! Our certified technicians can respond same-day. Call now! (512) 866-5520