Air Conditioning Tip from AC Express
Home Maintenance Checklist for Fall
Now is the best time to handle any preventative maintenance that your home may need in preperation for the winter. Follow this helpful checklist to keep your home safe and comfortable for you and your family.
- Check the exterior of your home for any cracks, missing sections of brick or siding, and rotted wood. Add caulk around window frames and use it to patch small cracks in the siding and foundation. Also, there are likely to be holes drilled into the exterior of your home for many installations such as internet/phone/cable wiring, water, electrical, gas, or air conditioning piping. Caulk, pipe sealants, and polyurethane foam may all come in handy to seal these openings. This is a very inexpensive way to avoid costly future repairs if left untreated.
- Install storm doors and windows. Remove, clean, repair, and store screens untill the spring.
- Check your roof for any loose or missing shingles. It is your first defense against the elements. Taking the necessary precautions to ensure your roof is in good shape will prevent you from having to deal with leaks and damage in the middle of a storm. It is recommended that you call on a professional to perform an inspection and any necessary repairs.
- Clean gutters of leaves and debris. Ensure they are in proper condition to handle the winter weather.
- Weatherstrip your garage door to prevent drafts and eliminate the chance for bugs and small critters to access your home.
- Check driveway for cracks. Repair with filler and coat with sealer.
- Proper insulation and sealing can save you up to 20% on heating and cooling utility costs. Caulk areas around windows where air leaks are found. Also apply weatherstripping to doors leading outside and into the garage.
- Call a professional heating service to preform preventative maintenance on your heating system to avoid any serious breakdowns in the midst of the winter season. (Call AC Express now! 512-745 6516)
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan movement to an upward draft in order to redistribute the warm air that rises to the ceiling.
- Test smoke detectors and keep extra batteries handy.
- Clean your AC unit condenser. Click for instructions on how to do that yourself.
- Clean your humidifier regularly. Bacteria may develop in a dirty water tank therefore releasing contaminated moisture into your home.
Tip of the Day Archive